Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Experimental chana masala.

Indian food is the shit.

I was going through some withdrawal, having moved from a city with lots of great Indian restaurants (Pittsburgh) to Laramie. There's supposed to be a pretty good one in Fort Collins, but I rarely have much money in that city after going by the place I buy Hip Hop records, so I've been up the creek.

So now I'm trying to learn how to cook my own Indian dishes. Tonight I made a Chana Masala that was passable. It needs to be hotter and to have a more complicated flavor, but it's definitely the best tasting attempt at Indian cuisine that I've ever made. Maybe I should make my own Garam Masala or something. The other problem is that I don't know where to get Mango powder around here, so I only had a slight approximation of how it's supposed to be done.

Here's a pretty good website with some tasty recipes.

This will be sweet, though. I'd like to be able to make naan and samosas for my family. Maybe that would convince them to be less skeptical. The first time that I ate Indian food was at a lunch buffet in Berkeley. My upbringing in the midwest didn't prepare me for it, so I thought it would taste like American Chinese food. As a result, I hated it because it wasn't sweet and sour.

Within a week, though, I started craving it. Everyone who had eaten there with me thought I was insane, but I was hooked.

No comments: