Sunday, June 17, 2007

Health care

I am so fucking sick of Blue Cross Blue Shield. I was offered a full-time position, which includes health benefits, months ago. Since then I've been working full time. After getting the run-around for months ("We'll get it done in two weeks. The new system is coming.") they finally decided to come clean and tell me that the offer was rescinded. Since staff might have to change a month from now in response to the new scanning system, they're worried that they'll have to take the full-time away after a month and don't want to put me through that.

Gee, thanks. I'll try to keep that in mind if I get cancer and get fucked out of coverage for life because of a pre-existing condition.

And I'm still expected to work full-time. They get all of the benefits of full-time labor without having to pay the full price for it. They deceived me, keeping me from getting coverage elsewhere (not that I could afford it on my sub-poverty line salary). If they had been up front, I could have at least tried to get a job with the state or something. Now, the closest thing that I get to health care from a goddamn insurance company is a pathetic newsletter telling me that should get enough sleep and drink anti-oxidant tea.

I can't even begin to express how awesome it is to show up at the ER without insurance. I love getting treated like a criminal for daring to seek emergency treatment in the middle of the night. I love getting shoved into a broom closet that bears a pretty close resemblance to the holding cell the police locked me in the night that I was arrested. I love getting shoved to the bottom of the list and having to wait for five fucking hours for anything to happen. I love getting bills from collection agencies months later because I don't have thousands of dollars to pay for necessary care.

This would all be irritating if it were just me, but now I have a family to look out for. When you can't get health care for a loved one in desperate need of it, it makes you feel helpless and empty inside.

The insurance industry sure spent a lot in their lobbying efforts and have gotten an awesome return on their investment. The millions of people, most of whom are in much, much worse situations than I will ever face, don't have that kind of clout. They can't pressure their representative by dangling campaign funds in a swank Washington gym. And I'm guessing that not much is going to happen to fix this trainwreck of a system because it's too much of a threat to the profit motives of the health care industry.

Fuck it.

No comments: