Thursday, December 31, 2009

50 Albums of 2009

Edited late December 31, 2009 to add A Place to Bury Strangers. I'm disappointed I didn't know about this earlier. It is the second coming of the Jesus and Mary Chain

As usual, I didn't spend as much time listening to music as I would have liked in the past year. This is mostly just the soundtrack for frustrated editing and driving back and forth from work while wearing a wool suit in July.

Definitely not enough Hip Hop. Raekwon was better than I expected but still made me wish I were listening to the original.

Regina Spektor didn't get enough credit from anyone except my wife.

And I am clearly a C93 fanboy. I'll follow him through hell. While others in that crowd (Death in June) got stale and started doing the same thing over and over again, Tibet seems to still be branching out, even if Aleph seems like a direct extension of the guitar-heavy parts of Black Ships.

1. Current 93 - Aleph at Hallucinatory Mountain
2. Hyperdub - 5 Years of Hyperdub (Disc 1)
3. Antony and the Johnsons - The Crying Light
4. Regina Spektor - Far
5. Pretty Lights - Passing By Behind Your Eyes
6. Dan Deacon - Bromst
7. Telefon Tel Aviv - Immolate Yourself
8. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
9. A Place to Bury Strangers - Exploding Head
10. 93 Million Miles From The Sun - 93 Million Miles From The Sun
11. Two Fingers - Two Fingers
12. Vitalic - Flashmob
13. Mos Def - The Ecstatic
14. Tv Ghost - Cold Fish
15. HEALTH - Get Color
16. Fever Ray - Fever Ray
17. DatA - Skywriter
18. Moby - Wait For Me
19. Fleeting Joys - Occult Radiance
20. Sonic Youth - The Eternal
21. William Basinski - 92982
22. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... II
23. Kid Cudi - Man On The Moon: The End Of Day
24. Converge - Axe to Fall
25. Bowerbirds - Upper Air
26. Depeche Mode - Sounds of the Universe
27. Doomriders - Darkness Comes Alive
28. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
29. Bastard Noise - Rogue Astronaut
30. Little Black Dress - Snow In June
31. ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - The Century of Self
32. Snowblood - Snowblood
33. The Fiery Furnaces - I'm Going Away
34. Lindstrøm & Prins Thomas - II
35. FM ATTACK - Dreamatic
36. Caspian - Tertia
37. Tim Hecker - An Imaginary Country
38. Clubroot - Clubroot
39. FaltyDL - Love is a Liability
40. Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
41. Alpinist - Minus.Mensch
42. Hudson Mohawke - Butter
43. Lazer Sword - Gucci Sweatshirt
44. Japandroids - Post-Nothing
45. Mantic Ritual - Executioner
46. Vladislav Delay - Tummaa
47. The Phantom Band - Checkmate Savage
48. The Thermals - Now We Can See
49. Phonat - Phonat
50. Altar of Plagues - White Tomb



2 comments:

Scu said...

Nice list. I'll have to get around to listening to several of these.

Also, how's life?

deathdrive83 said...

Married. Trying to spend more time reading fiction. Somehow in my final year of law school. Editing the law review. Dreading the idea of finding a feasible job as an attorney, which will likely involve none of the things about law (theory, social justice) that interest me. I've lost contact with most of my old debate friends, except the ones who were on the team with me at the University of Wyoming.

What are you up to these days?