Thursday, August 12, 2010

So now what?

Well, law school is over, I took the bar, and I don't have a job. Few people are hiring and most of those positions gets snapped up by people who didn't go to Tier III schools. Law Review and top 5% don't help that much in this economy if you're didn't go to a top 14 school.

In a sense, it's kind of liberating. I don't have to worry about being a respectable lawyer. I don't even have to be a lawyer. Extinction might have kept me in law school just like a hapless pledge who keeps pursuing frat membership just so the week of humiliation he has already received will not be in vain, but I don't need to let that control my life. Sure, I need a job to pay soaring medical bills, avoid homelessness, and eat, but the death cult of the law doesn't have to my way of doing that (especially if the law doesn't want me).

So I think I'm going to try to focus on two things that I've neglected: my interests in philosophy and creative writing. I think I can use this space to post some of my attempts at writing fiction about new religious movement eschatology and exploring the ins and outs of libertarian Marxism and psychoanalysis that I thought I didn't have time to think about over the past two years because I was neck-deep in the drivel that I tried to pass off as legal writing.

We'll see. A plan might be forthcoming.

No comments: